26674 Meadow Ridge Drive Elko New Market, MN 55020
What are ICEA Childbirth Classes?
It is ICEA’s mission is to educate, certify, and support the birth professional who believes in freedom to make decisions based on a knowledge of alternatives in family-centered maternity and newborn care. This is the focus and goal of each and every ICEA class taught by Treasured Birth, LLC.
Why Should I Attend ICEA Childbirth Classes?
ICEA classes focus on wellness, health-promotion, and knowledge of informed consent, evidence-based care, and the use of non-medical and medical self-care techniques in order to encourage and support a normal physiologic pregnancy, labor, and birth. These classes are both thorough and popular. They provide opportunities for learning about the journey through pregnancy and childbirth.
What Should I Expect to Learn?
ICEA Encourages Family-Supported Maternity Care, which means their philosophy is that:
- Birth is a normal, healthy process for most women;
- Care must be individualized;
- Decision-making should be a collaborative effort between the pregnant woman and her healthcare providers;
- Education should reflect current, evidence-based knowledge;
- Information should be shared freely between the pregnant woman and each of her healthcare providers; and
- Mothers and babies should stay together (rooming in).
The International Childbirth Education Association (ICEA) is an organization that supports health care workers who encourage your freedom of choice by providing you with information about every possible aspect of your pregnancy, including labor and birth.
Treasured Birth’s ICEA Childbirth Classes are designed to provide thorough evidence and scientific-based information, and individual attention, and to teach parents to:
- Learn how to stay healthy and low-risk during pregnancy
- Learn about the hormonal and body changes during pregnancy, labor and birth, as well as during the postpartum period after birth
- To learn the phases and stages of labor
- To give your labor support person the tools that they need to be confident to help you, supportive of your choices, and understanding of the process
- To learn about the signs and symptoms of labor
- To get a clear understanding of normal physiological childbirth
- To learn the techniques for staying comfortable, and encourage labor to progress positively
- To find out medication and intervention possibilities for labor
- To know when is the right time to call your doula, your doctor, or your midwife
In addition to learning the empowering skills of pregnancy, labor, birth, and the postpartum recovery period, Treasured Birth hopes to connect expecting parents who attend these classes to other expecting parents, and create a network of friends and supporters within the community.
To read ICEA’s position papers, please visit their website at: http://icea.org/about/position-papers-statements-core-competencies/.